Application deadline: 31 October 2015
The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences offers a limited number of scholarships to outstanding international students undertaking a postgraduate coursework Master degree in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. These scholarships cover the tuition fees for the duration of the course.
– have received an unconditional offer of admission to a Master degree in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
– have a minimimum of 7.0 IELTS (overall) or equivalent if they are from a non-English speaking background
– be commencing postgraduate study at the University for the first time
– be a citizen of a country other than Australia or New Zealand, and not hold permanent residency in Australia
– NOT be in receipt of any other scholarship that covers tuition fees
There is strong competition for these scholarships. Selection is primarily based on academic merit including excellent results in the applicant’s English language test, if applicable. Applicants must also provide a copy of their CV alongside a statement regarding why they want to undertake their chosen program and what they hope to achieve following graduation.
Please note: It is very important that applicants indicate the degree for which they have applied.
These scholarships exempt students from the international student tuition fees for the duration of their chosen course. This award does not cover the Student Amenities Fee (SAF), or other expenses associated with study including living allowance, textbooks, visa fees, health cover, laptops or other goods.
Scholarships are awarded on the basis that the student will commence study in the academic year for which it is offered, and for the program in which a place has been offered in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. A scholarship holder may defer commencement of the program of study, and of the award of a scholarship, for one semester only.
The scholarship is limited to the standard duration of the course.
Scholarship holders may in special circumstances take leave of absence from their scholarship for a maximum of one semester. Students must check their visa conditions before applying for leave; and they must apply for permission in advance of taking such leave.
These scholarships cannot be transferred from one institution to another, nor can they be transferred from one degree to another within the University of Sydney. Requests to transfer a scholarship from one degree to another within the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences will be considered by the Associate Dean (Postgraduate Coursework) but transferal of the scholarship is not guaranteed.
Termination of Scholarships
Scholarships will be terminated:
– if the student fails to meet the eligibility requirements.
– if the student fails to maintain a credit average in the program.
– if the student discontinues their study.
– if the University determines that the student is guilty of serious misconduct, including, but not limited to, having provided false or misleading information.
– if the student does not resume study at the end of a period of approved leave.
– if the student is granted permanent residency in Australia. Students must immediately advise the International Office and the Faculty Office about any changes to their visa status.
How to Apply
Candidates must complete an online application form in order to be considered for this scholarship. This form is located on the Faculty of Arts and Social Science’s scholarships website. The personal statement should highlight your academic and extra-curricular or professional achievements, alongside outlining why you want to undertake your chosen course and what you hope to achieve following graduation.